LIFESTYLE REVOLUTION ~ ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE
If life were as simple as our childhood, when we were not faced with many challenges and all that mattered was recess, cereal with cold milk, and Saturday morning cartoons then we would all be where we personally believed we should be in life. The reality is life is filled with daily challenges and we have two choices, retreat in fear or tackle them with purpose, passion, and most of all action. We all face challenges but how we deal with them is most important.
We are 90+ days into 2015 and many of you have fallen off just as in the diagram below. I implore you with everything in me to get back on this lifestyle train and take control of your health. Doing so won’t alleviate challenges in life but it sure will give you the gusto needed to face them.
I would like to challenge you in three areas, Spiritually, Physically, Personally. Life is about balance so here some tips on how to attain the balance you need to be a success. Also I have listed some simple and healthy nutrition ideas. Try them out and see how your body thanks you later.
Challenge: Try something new challenge! Try a new physical or fitness activity this week that you’ve always been interested in like: paddle board, kayak, learn to swim, cross fit, yoga, or bicycle- take pics of your new adventure!
Easy tips to keep you moving in the day:
- Take the stairs instead of elevator
- Park far away when going to stores
- Stand up at work- turn your desk into a stand up desk!
Challenge: Rise and Shine Challenge!
What better way to start your day than to get your heart pumping with a run? Go for a run one morning this week and take a photo to show that you did it. Please post on the E.D.H page Good luck!
- Complete between 30-60 min of exercise 5x this week- keep track of exercises on attached calendar (if needed, times can be broken up into intervals each day. Exercise consists of anything that keeps you moving! Whatever you choose to do, don’t stop moving! See attachment (calendar) for examples. Look online for free passes to yoga studios/ gyms, or free activities in your community!
Before getting started with each day stop and simply say thank you for another day. Ask God to guide your steps and to perfect those things which concern you. At the end of your day simply tell God thank you for His grace to allow you to see the end of the day.
Personal Challenge: Vow not to complain or criticize for 7 days. Note how your attitude changes!
5 easy ways to deal with negative thoughts:
- Jot it down on paper, tear it up, THROW IT OUT! Spending 20 minutes writing about something that’s stressing you out can actually help you think less, say’s psychologist at the University of Texas.
- Do yoga – if interested in local yoga studios near you let me know!!!
- Get some cardio- walk, run, jump rope, swim, bicycle, walk the dog, etc.
- Listen to upbeat music, inspirational music, or music with a positive message
- Find a distractor- call someone who will make you laugh
- Warm up- Physical warmth and social warmth trigger activity in the same area of the brain. Next time you’re feeling lonely or rejected, take a warm shower or bath. Research shows it can help you feel better!
- Walk out of the room- University of Notre Dame Researchers found that we can break free from seemingly never-ending whirlwinds of negativity with a simple change of setting.
Nutrition Challenge/ Recipes (you still need to keep log of your daily servings of fruits and veggies!! Get creative with adding them to meals!)
Challenge: No dessert this week!!
Recipe Challenge: Mexican Style Sweet Potatoes! Check out this link for the health benefits and recipe-
Healthy Snacks on the go:
- Mixed Nuts or Trail Mix: Mixed nuts provide an easy way to get a delicious dose of protein in a convenient, shelf-stable package. Try a mixed bunch for variety and a combo with dried fruit for some added sweetness. The best bang for your protein buck? Almonds and pistachios. They’re higher in protein than their nutty peers.
- Cottage-Style Fruit: Top 1/2 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of your favorite fruit. Not sure what fruit to pick? Try some superfoods! Bananas, mixed berries, and melon are a few great favorites.
For more fitness tips, video demos, and meal tips go to https://m.facebook.com/edhpersonaltraining.