NEGOTIATE YOUR WORTH ~ INCREASE YOUR WOMAN
Ever heard the song, We Didn’t Start the Fire by Billy Joel? In this song he sings about how someone started something, and we have to follow the established patterns set by others. Same goes when you are seeking new employment or a promotion. Many people find negotiating salary tough. Therefore, I want to challenge your norms and show you the value beneath the surface.
- Know the market and what you are worth.
- What will it take for you to meet ends comfortably?
- Take some time to research salaries in your neck of the woods. Go on line, find averages, or talk with career counselors on current market values.
- Experience and education matter and they factor into what you bring to the table.
- Once you are selected and they offer you an amount, do not accept it on the spot unless you have done your research. Give yourself at least 24-48 hours before accepting. Ask yourself, will the amount be enough for you to cover your current bills, or will you need more?
- If you need more, state what you need to the company; because, there are more people that regret accepting that first amount. Especially when they finally get on the job and learn others are making 10-20% more in salary (for the same position).
- How do others get the requested salary and others don’t? They confidently state their demands, or negotiate other benefits such as three week vacation, or stagger increases when performance is met and they get it in writing.
- Never doubt what you bring to the job.
- When negotiating, never ask with a question in your voice. Have a range and start at the top, and work to you are comfortable.
You have put time and effort into your craft, and you deserve to be compensated. However if you are desperate and need a job with all haste; you must never let that desperation come through in your voice or actions. One thing you must be always mindful of, “Don’t Get Stuck!” if you have to settle for a low paying job. Keep motivating and preparing for the next and the better, and the greatest job as you continue to Increase Your Woman!